Argumentative essay topics for high school implies discussion on debatable ground. The author evaluates statements, proofs and support, hidden arguments, assumptions, internal contradictions and comes to the idea that one point of view becomes more preferable than others, while the rest of people may disagree with it. Writing argumentative essays can turn out to be a complicated task. Argumentative essay topics for high school students, even those, who recently learned the correct structure and understood the meaning of the persuasive essay concept, can meet another problem. What topic to choose for an essay?
Students allowed to feel free in any discussion and consider all existing fields from personal to political. It helps to broaden horizons. However, the more freedom students get, the fewer students need and the choice becomes unbearable, even with proper skills. A great argumentative essay can be called “persuasive” not coincidentally, it demands certainty, strong evidence support, and analytical abilities. Learners develop self-talk: argumentative writing resembles this process. If a student has no experience of self-talk, specialists advise imitate oral speech, this psychological trick can break the fears’ wall between his/her mind and emotions. Touch of emotions is allowed to be present in an argumentative essay.
Pupils required to take into consideration several rules concerning argumentative essays’ structure. The text should be of five paragraphs, that are logically and semantically connected to show student’s skills acquired at high school. The aim of this essay type is simple and complicated in time. It is difficult to persuade readers in the idea that one opinion is more preferable than the others and prove it clearly and consciously – high school learnee should have more knowledge than middle school students have. They should know that an essay has three main parts: introduction, main body, and conclusion. These three parts should be constructed in five paragraphs. Students use this information to arrange their thoughts better. Teachers provide learners with more detailed essay organization to ease the writing process – in the introduction should be the following elements:
- Well-formulated topic;
- Several actual and disputable ideas;
- Proving that opinions differ;
- Short describing of an essay plan.
The main part raises more flags than the previous one. It should contain:
- Evidence-based arguments from the author side to support his/her opinion;
- Determination of concepts used in the essay;
- Facts and examples showing the student’s experience and analytical skills, both from the side of opinion he/she supports and dismissed one.
The last from five-paragraph essay describes these elements:
- Repetition of thesis statement;
- Few words to sum up the mentioned arguments;
- Statement supporting positive moments of the author’s opinion.
Teaching students the intricacies of proper persuasive writing is laborious work. Explaining possible questions to raise is much sadder activity. Teachers claim that students are unable even to ask some questions, not even talking about raising the whole essay on the topic. It indicates the low outer activity of the latter group. Students perform better-having hobbies or raised physical activity, it opens more spheres for them and they will be bolder to argue, having some knowledge on a topic. It is impossible to reason point of view without any correct background information. The thing we can surely advise is taking the most controversial fields to dispute.
Here some persuasive essay topics we can share with readers to get inspiration:
- Is it correct to legalize euthanasia?
- Should punishment for crimes be stricter?
- Do you agree with the fact that AI (artificial intellect) can excel human in the near future and whether it should be so smart?
- Abortion – yes or no.
- Is it possible to say that the world would be more peaceful without religion?
- Is there a need in designing the unified worldwide education system and is it possible to adopt it?
- Animals in captivity: what can be done and whether it is necessary?
- Should students read more, hear more or see more?
Students can get more topics surfing the Internet, though it is preferable trying to see with their own eyes and minds.
Our resources help students of any institution deal with writing argumentative essays – you can buy an argumentative paper from us and take time for another activity broadening your mind. We guarantee high quality, confidentiality and proper positive attitude to customers.